Sunday, August 29, 2010

Chicken Shish Kabobs

I haven't cooked in a couple of days because I went downtown to stay with Rachel! So today my mom and I went to work out and then got frozen yogurt, it was delicious! Then we went grocery shopping (without a recipe on hand!) so we decided to make chicken shish kabobs since we already had some frozen chicken at home. We bought a bunch of fresh vegetables and we were not sure what veggies work well on the grill so we just picked what sounded good to us! So the recipe I will put on here is actually made up by me and my mom!

Ingredients:
1 zucchini
1 squash
1 Sweet potato
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
whole mushrooms
5 green onions (small ones)
broccoli
1 red bell pepper
Italian salad dressing
Pinch of rosemary, basil, salt, and pepper

Method:
Cut all of the ingredients into 2 inch pieces and place them into a single dish.
Cook the Sweet Potatoes in microwave about 3-5 minutes until slightly soft to ensure they will cook evenly with the rest of the kabob
Pour the salad dressing, rosemary, basil, salt, and pepper onto all of the other vegetables and meat and place in the refrigerator for 20 - 30 minutes to marinate
Take out the dish and stick all of the food onto skewers in any desired order
Place the kabobs onto the grill and turn every 3-5 minutes until everything is cooked through
Take the kabobs off of the grill and serve immediately

The pictures go in order from marinating the food, to the uncooked kabobs, to the kabobs cooking, to the final product! They really turned out very pretty, I loved all of the colors. Overall I really did like how it turned out. We didn't quite get them cooked long enough so we ended up microwaving the chicken a little bit longer so make sure when you make this you really get the chicken cooked all the way through! The onions we chose (we picked them because we thought they would look good) really didn't cook evenly through with everything else so I would not recommend those. Perhaps use shallots or a smaller type of onion. The sweet potatoes were really delicious and I would definitely put those in your kabobs! The dish definitely had enough flavor to it and there was plenty of food! We had a skewer each and had a ton of leftovers and I think it will make really tasty leftovers. Overall I was a fan of the chicken kabobs and recommend them, I'd make them again and I learned a lot from my first time with these. I really was scared to use the grill, but my mom helped and it doesn't seem as intimidating anymore!

For desert we bought these delicious cherries! They were huge and tasted oh so good! I got to practice my cherry stem tying skills some more (Conner would be so proud of me! hahaha). Anyways,  tonight was a very successful and delicious meal.





Yum! Here are the cherries :)

5 comments:

  1. I am a fan of Rachels healthy oooking endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the purpose of this blog rachel!! i didn't know you were learning to cook so many exotic and interesting dishes. haha i also wanted to know how the chicken apple dish tasted. i always get surprised when fruits and chicken taste good. you should try making salmon next and bake it. it's easy to make and tastes soo good if you like fish. also that thing with the shells bearing spinach pesto looked beautiful. like art. all these photos have such a professional look to them. amazing chef barde

    ReplyDelete
  3. why didn't you just leave it on the grill more instead of microwaving it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because we didn't know it wasn't fully cooked until it was off of the grill and on the table and we were ready to eat. So we just did it the fastest way possible

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks SO yummy!! Next time you come to a-town we will have a cooking/baking-fest!!

    ReplyDelete